Trek Passions Forum








STEP 1) Click Into Any Category - STEP 2) Click NEW TOPIC - STEP 3) Post! It's that simple!
Members with accounts over 24 hours old are encouraged to click into the Introduction Area category to say hello!
Have fun!





Babylon 5 Returns With New Tales
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trek Passions Forum index -> Sci-Fi Television
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ninjabear




ninjabear

Joined:
April 26, 2006
Posts: 546

PostPosted:     Post subject: long story short
Reply with quote
Okay so I left the store, and I went to the ATM and this guy puts a gun to my head and says if I don't give him all I can take from the ATM he's gonna splatter my brains on the wall.

Anyway, to make a long story short I brought nachos but the store was out of root beer.

Is that the sort of storytelling you prefer, Rayman?
B5 as told by Rod Serling is okay by me, but you need to finish what you start before you move on to the lost tales.




www.ninjabearpress.com

Back to top

rayman




rayman

Joined:
March 14, 2006
Posts: 622

PostPosted:     Post subject: Re: long story short
Reply with quote
ninjabear wrote:
Okay so I left the store, and I went to the ATM and this guy puts a gun to my head and says if I don't give him all I can take from the ATM he's gonna splatter my brains on the wall.

Anyway, to make a long story short I brought nachos but the store was out of root beer.

Is that the sort of storytelling you prefer, Rayman?
B5 as told by Rod Serling is okay by me, but you need to finish what you start before you move on to the lost tales.




www.ninjabearpress.com



The analogy you described doesn't hold water. It's not essential to the Sheridan story to mention what happened to the virus or Excaliber. Babylon 5: The Lost Tales if you haven't noticed is about the characters of Babylon 5 which is what fans miss more than Excaliber. It was a good effort as a spin off series but it will never be like Babylon 5. Its the 10 anniversary of the Interstellar Alliance way past the five-year mark the people of Earth would start dying if they didn't find a cure, it doesn't take a genius to figure out they completed their mission. I suppose Galen could have said something about it but JMS didn't write it in, and he's a much better writer than Rob Sterling



Back to top

ninjabear




ninjabear

Joined:
April 26, 2006
Posts: 546

PostPosted:     Post subject: Rob Who?
Reply with quote
It's a cogent paradigm, you're simply in denial because of your hero worship.
I'm sure JMS is far more skilled than your little friend Rob Sterling, but if you look again I clearly said

Rod Serling,
The master who gave us the classic series Twillight Zone & and the equally compelling Night Gallery.

As Spock told the good doctor, "I find your argument strewn with gaping flaws in logic."



Back to top

rayman




rayman

Joined:
March 14, 2006
Posts: 622

PostPosted:     Post subject: Re: Rob Who?
Reply with quote
ninjabear wrote:
It's a cogent paradigm, you're simply in denial because of your hero worship.
I'm sure JMS is far more skilled than your little friend Rob Sterling, but if you look again I clearly said

Rod Serling,
The master who gave us the classic series Twillight Zone & and the equally compelling Night Gallery.

As Spock told the good doctor, "I find your argument strewn with gaping flaws in logic."





Oh I meant Rob "Sterling" creator of the Twilight Zone and the not so good Night Gallery. No, there's no hero worship here, I simply admire JMS more who wrote 98% of the episodes of Babylon 5 and is a part-time comic-book writer.





Back to top

ninjabear




ninjabear

Joined:
April 26, 2006
Posts: 546

PostPosted:     Post subject: I thought I was the blind one
Reply with quote
Mr. Straszinski is a "part time" comic book writer?
Cool, but I don't need pictures for the big words; however some of the B5 episodes were so trully compelling I forgot for a few seconds that I was watching a TV show.
That said, I'd love for you to meet JMS, because he would surely pimp-slap you for mocking a master storyteller like Rod Serling.

Damn dawg, what color is the sky in your world?

Back to top

rayman




rayman

Joined:
March 14, 2006
Posts: 622

PostPosted:     Post subject: Re: I thought I was the blind one
Reply with quote
ninjabear wrote:

That said, I'd love for you to meet JMS, because he would surely pimp-slap you for mocking a master storyteller like Rod Serling.


I say JMS would agree with me and shake my hand, the sky is blue here, I'm thinking it's a totally different color where you are. I'll give Rod The Twilight Zone because he and his writing staff gave us some good episodes, but that's about it. The Night Gallery was an attempt to capture what The Twilight Zone had, which I remember Rod wasn't happy with some of the episodes/stories on NG or even working there.







Back to top

ninjabear




ninjabear

Joined:
April 26, 2006
Posts: 546

PostPosted:     Post subject: fill in the blanks, dang it!
Reply with quote
Rod Serling is a master of the craft, period.
Unless you're prepared to go PPGs at ten paces you'll leave that unchallenged.

The B5 universe is a masterpiece in it's own right; but Michangelo did not leave big blank spots on the chapel ceiling, now did he?


Back to top

rayman




rayman

Joined:
March 14, 2006
Posts: 622

PostPosted:     Post subject:
Reply with quote
I would say Rod was good at the twist ending in his Twilight Zone episodes, can't really compared to JMS writing on B5 which has character development, good acting, and I would say philosophies about life, war, and redemption.

Back to top

cooky37




cooky37

Joined:
July 1, 2006
Posts: 862

PostPosted:     Post subject:
Reply with quote
Sorry to interupt Guys, But I take umbridge with this attack on Rod Serling. Keep in mind the limitations he had to deal with to do The Twilight Zone back in the Sixties. Did he ever wright a straight to paper book, with no plans for it to Air? Straight to video Shows have a bit more freedom than a movie or Tv Series.

Will someone shut that man up
NEVER!
Back to top

rayman




rayman

Joined:
March 14, 2006
Posts: 622

PostPosted:     Post subject:
Reply with quote
cooky37 wrote:
Sorry to interupt Guys, But I take umbridge with this attack on Rod Serling. Keep in mind the limitations he had to deal with to do The Twilight Zone back in the Sixties. Did he ever wright a straight to paper book, with no plans for it to Air? Straight to video Shows have a bit more freedom than a movie or Tv Series.

Will someone shut that man up
NEVER!


It still doesn't change the fact that I think JMS is a better writer then Rod.
I'm sure Rod had to deal with a limited budget not to mention the tv censors back in the '60s, but that didn't stop Gene Roddenberry for showing the first racial kiss on tv, or talking about the Cold War, racism, and Vietnam in the Star Trek episodes.

Back to top

ninjabear




ninjabear

Joined:
April 26, 2006
Posts: 546

PostPosted:     Post subject: everyone has one
Reply with quote
Rayman you bring to mind the infamous remark about opinions---but that's not relevant to my point.

Remember when Zathras told them there is a beginning, a middle and an end, which leads to the next great story?

THAT'S what I'm talking about!

Back to top

rayman




rayman

Joined:
March 14, 2006
Posts: 622

PostPosted:     Post subject: Re: everyone has one
Reply with quote
ninjabear wrote:
Rayman you bring to mind the infamous remark about opinions---but that's not relevant to my point.

Remember when Zathras told them there is a beginning, a middle and an end, which leads to the next great story?

THAT'S what I'm talking about!



huh??? LOL Sometimes you don't make much sense, but I agree with you about the old saying, opinions are like a**holes everyones got one.







Back to top

ninjabear




ninjabear

Joined:
April 26, 2006
Posts: 546

PostPosted:     Post subject: Forum by way of Night Gallery
Reply with quote
Oh now that's funny; this forum was topped by a banner ad touting full episodes of Rod Serling's Night Gallery available on NBC.com.

"Facts, Doctor. Feelings do not win arguments."
Despite his man-crush on JMS, Rainman's unable to rationalize the blank pages in the B5 book, metaphorically speaking, so that debate is over.
I went to imdb.com to buttress my argument and was reminded of a stunning, stellar example of drama, suspense & rich character development.
Yo Cookie monster, did you know Rod Serling wrote the screenplay for the film
Seven Days in May?

Rainman, I think I just sank your battleship---which oddly reminds me of another Serling screenplay,
Assault on a Queen.


Back to top

rayman




rayman

Joined:
March 14, 2006
Posts: 622

PostPosted:     Post subject:
Reply with quote
I was laughing also when I saw the Night Gallery banners, even some fans of Rod know that's not his best work. I'll give Rod Planet of the Apes with Michael Wilson's collaboration of the screenplay of course.

I see lots of quotes from you ninja but no facts to back up what you say, but that's okay I've gotten used to your ramblings on this forum. lol

I hope your not being immature by calling me Rainman, it's just going to confirm that you let your feelings rule you, but in a way I expected that so it's no big surprise.









Back to top

ninjabear




ninjabear

Joined:
April 26, 2006
Posts: 546

PostPosted:     Post subject: Fact check, rainman
Reply with quote
imdb.com

Back to top

Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Trek Passions Forum index -> Sci-Fi Television All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 


© phpBB Limited







  • Home | Your Account | Search

    | Contact | Advertise on this Site

    | Journalists, Bloggers & Press Inquiries

    | Online Dating Directory Webmasters

    | Affiliate Program

    | Passions Network : Free Dating, Chat & Social Networking

    | Terms | Privacy Policy

    © 2004 - 2021