Trek Passions Forum








STEP 1) Click Into Any Category - STEP 2) Click NEW TOPIC - STEP 3) Post! It's that simple!
Members with accounts over 24 hours old are encouraged to click into the Introduction Area category to say hello!
Have fun!





Now THIS Sucks!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trek Passions Forum index -> Sci-Fi Movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
fringey




fringey

Joined:
April 4, 2006
Posts: 1353

PostPosted:     Post subject:
Reply with quote
I hear ya Andrew. I hit a lot of sites myself. But, there are only a few I trust for news.

Patrick
a.k.a. Fringey, The Fringe Element
"A life lived without passion is a life not lived.
Back to top

ninjabear




ninjabear

Joined:
April 26, 2006
Posts: 546

PostPosted:     Post subject: right twice a day
Reply with quote
Even a clock that doesn't run is right twice a day---if it's true they've got Mr. Jackson to do what he has already done so well, there may be hope for this movie franchise yet...but I'm waiting for multiple independent confirmation before I get my hopes up.

The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings books are masterpieces but as a pre-teen, I found they caused a lot of narcolepsy all around me. Oh sure, back in the day such classics were required reading and I plowed through it, but Peter Jackson's films brought the stories to life with magnificent dramatic flair.
The closest anyone's ever, perhaps ever will come to making the movie better than the book.


Back to top

fringey




fringey

Joined:
April 4, 2006
Posts: 1353

PostPosted:     Post subject: Re: right twice a day
Reply with quote
ninjabear wrote:
Even a clock that doesn't run is right twice a day---if it's true they've got Mr. Jackson to do what he has already done so well, there may be hope for this movie franchise yet...but I'm waiting for multiple independent confirmation before I get my hopes up.

The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings books are masterpieces but as a pre-teen, I found they caused a lot of narcolepsy all around me. Oh sure, back in the day such classics were required reading and I plowed through it, but Peter Jackson's films brought the stories to life with magnificent dramatic flair.
The closest anyone's ever, perhaps ever will come to making the movie better than the book.




Honestly, I loved The Hobbit when I first read it at about twelve. The LOTR trilogy was an entirely different matter. It took me about 4 tries to finally get past the first third of Fellowship because I was so bored with it. After I finally pushed myself farther at the insistence of friends who told me I was missing out, I did find myself falling intot he story and becoming a fan of the story. From that point on, I whizzed through all 3 books. I have YET to make it through the Silmarrilon, though. Laughing

Patrick
a.k.a. Fringey, The Fringe Element
"A life lived without passion is a life not lived.
Back to top

scryer41




scryer41

Joined:
March 28, 2008
Posts: 361

PostPosted:     Post subject:
Reply with quote
Yeah, The Silmarrilon was by far the most sleep inducing of the entire series. But Lord Of The Rings was what got me most interested in RPG back when D&D started. It was fun to pretend to live in a world that had people like Frodo and Gandalf in it.

I just hope Jackson gets the go ahead instead of anyone else.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Across the Sands of Time, along the Shores of Life, the Traveler rides on. For he knows his journey ends in lovers meeting.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Beware the beast Man for he is the Devil's pawn.
Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport, or lust, or greed.
Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land.
Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert out of his home and yours.
Shun him. Drive him back into his jungle lair.
For he is the harbinger of death.

The Sacred Scrolls: 29th Scroll, 6th Verse

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit my website at www.angelfire.com/oh5/scryer41 to see my art, poems, short stories and photos.
Back to top

cooky37




cooky37

Joined:
July 1, 2006
Posts: 862

PostPosted:     Post subject:
Reply with quote
the latest word from Bob Shaye, studio chief of New Line Cinema
"he (Jackson) will never make any movie with New Line Cinema while i'm still [there]"

Dear New Line, time for a new studio chief.

Will someone shut that man up
NEVER!
Back to top

fringey




fringey

Joined:
April 4, 2006
Posts: 1353

PostPosted:     Post subject:
Reply with quote
cooky37 wrote:
the latest word from Bob Shaye, studio chief of New Line Cinema
"he (Jackson) will never make any movie with New Line Cinema while i'm still [there]"

Dear New Line, time for a new studio chief.

Will someone shut that man up
NEVER!


I am sure Mr. Jackson feels the same way about it that Bob does. Laughing

Patrick
a.k.a. Fringey, The Fringe Element
"A life lived without passion is a life not lived.
Back to top

ninjabear




ninjabear

Joined:
April 26, 2006
Posts: 546

PostPosted:     Post subject: Smilin' Bob
Reply with quote
Okay, so let me see if I have this straight.

Bob "the suit" Shaye, doesn't want anything to do with
Pete, "the award winning, money factory" Jackson.

Is it me, or did Smiling Bob just use an ultimatum to take himself hostage?

If it comes to keeping the guy who does the paperwork, or the guy who makes a sh**load of money for the studio, who does Bob think is going to win?




Back to top

fringey




fringey

Joined:
April 4, 2006
Posts: 1353

PostPosted:     Post subject: Re: Smilin' Bob
Reply with quote
ninjabear wrote:
Okay, so let me see if I have this straight.

Bob "the suit" Shaye, doesn't want anything to do with
Pete, "the award winning, money factory" Jackson.

Is it me, or did Smiling Bob just use an ultimatum to take himself hostage?

If it comes to keeping the guy who does the paperwork, or the guy who makes a sh**load of money for the studio, who does Bob think is going to win?






Peter wins, and the other studios win, the fans lose. Bob keeps screwing people over, and New Line will cease to exist.

Patrick
a.k.a. Fringey, The Fringe Element
"A life lived without passion is a life not lived.
Back to top

ninjabear




ninjabear

Joined:
April 26, 2006
Posts: 546

PostPosted:     Post subject: greed over all
Reply with quote
Not necessarily.
The other suits at New Line Cinema see they're losing money they sack Smilin' Bob, then replace him with someone who knows what the customers want.

That is, after all, why Tom Cruise still has a job. Doesn't matter how big a [----] he is, if people are willing to pay to see him in a movie.

Back to top

fringey




fringey

Joined:
April 4, 2006
Posts: 1353

PostPosted:     Post subject: Re: greed over all
Reply with quote
ninjabear wrote:
Not necessarily.
The other suits at New Line Cinema see they're losing money they sack Smilin' Bob, then replace him with someone who knows what the customers want.

That is, after all, why Tom Cruise still has a job. Doesn't matter how big a [----] he is, if people are willing to pay to see him in a movie.



Well, Cruise doesn't really HAVE a job now, since he was fired this summer. He only has his own production company at this point. As for Bob, the New Line execs would have to decide whether they make more money by NOT paying PJ his cut, or by letting PJ make another money, for which I am sure he will demand a lot more money. It is a Catch-22 and I don't know yet how it will all shake out. I am willing to bet someone else ends up making the Hobbit. And they will probably scrw it up and give it to someone like Uwe Boll. Who, I just heard last night, is getting to do Bloodrayne II. I think Uwe Boll's middle name must be "tax deduction".

Patrick
a.k.a. Fringey, The Fringe Element
"A life lived without passion is a life not lived.
Back to top

ninjabear




ninjabear

Joined:
April 26, 2006
Posts: 546

PostPosted:     Post subject: one hell of a resume'
Reply with quote
I dunno, Fringey...I want to believe that being able to slap The Lord of the Rings Trillogy on a studio exec's desk makes one hell of a recommendation.
I can't imagine Mr. Jackson's asking price would be so outlandish that he'd price himself out of the game---expecially when he's a proven moneymaker.
Thsi concept is as old as showbusiness itself, but was eloquently put by the original American Idol, Al Jolson (sorry, I just could not resist) who said,
"Always give the audience what they want, but always leave them wanting more."

So to me it remains to be seen if these Hollyweird suits are greedier than they are stupid---place your bets, folks!


Back to top

fringey




fringey

Joined:
April 4, 2006
Posts: 1353

PostPosted:     Post subject: Re: one hell of a resume'
Reply with quote
ninjabear wrote:
I dunno, Fringey...I want to believe that being able to slap The Lord of the Rings Trillogy on a studio exec's desk makes one hell of a recommendation.
I can't imagine Mr. Jackson's asking price would be so outlandish that he'd price himself out of the game---expecially when he's a proven moneymaker.
Thsi concept is as old as showbusiness itself, but was eloquently put by the original American Idol, Al Jolson (sorry, I just could not resist) who said,
"Always give the audience what they want, but always leave them wanting more."

So to me it remains to be seen if these Hollyweird suits are greedier than they are stupid---place your bets, folks!




I dunno. Now I hear ruors that Sam Raimi is interested in doing the Hobbit. Could be interesting.

Patrick
a.k.a. Fringey, The Fringe Element
"A life lived without passion is a life not lived.
Back to top

Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Trek Passions Forum index -> Sci-Fi Movies All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 


© phpBB Limited







  • Home | Your Account | Search

    | Contact | Advertise on this Site

    | Journalists, Bloggers & Press Inquiries

    | Online Dating Directory Webmasters

    | Affiliate Program

    | Passions Network : Free Dating, Chat & Social Networking

    | Terms | Privacy Policy

    © 2004 - 2021